Introduction to Psychology, Science of the Human Mind, Behavior and Its Functions
What is psychology? What are the branches of psychology?
Psychology is the science of the mind and behavior. The word “psychology” comes from the Greek word psyche meaning “breath, spirit, soul”, and the Greek word loggia meaning the study of something.
According to Medilexicon’s medical dictionary, psychology is “The profession (clinical psychology), scholarly discipline (academic psychology), and science (research psychology) concerned with the behavior of humans and animals, and related mental and physiologic processes.” Although psychology may also include the study of the mind and behavior of animals, in this article psychology refers to humans.
Certain situations that an individual faces are challenging and they lead to change of behavior patterns and emotions because of Psychology problems. This is a common problem in the current world and we can be the culprits or our friends and family members can be affected.
Fast facts on psychology
Here are some key points about psychology:
- Psychology is the study of behavior and the mind.
- We are unable to physically see mental processes such as thoughts, memories, dreams and perceptions.
- Clinical psychology is an integration science, theory, and practice.
- Cognitive psychology investigates internal mental processes such as how people think, perceive and communicate.
- Developmental psychology is the study of how a person develops psychologically over the course of their life.
- Evolutionary psychology examines how psychological adjustments during evolution have affected human behavior.
- Forensic psychology is the application of psychology to the process of criminal investigation and the law.
- Health psychology observes how health can be influenced by behavior, biology and social context.
- Neuropsychology examines the how the brain functions in relation to different behaviors and psychological processes.
- Occupational psychology investigates how people perform at work in order to develop an understanding of how organizations function.
- Social psychology is a study of how the behavior and thoughts of people are influenced by the actual or implied presence of others.
The different branches of psychology
- Clinical psychology
- Cognitive psychology
- Developmental psychology
- Evolutionary psychology
- Forensic psychology
- Health psychology
- Social psychology
Psychologist doctors, Best Psychologist in Hyderabad, Famous Psychologist in Hyderabad is available at Dr S V Prasad Manovikas Center